12 Sept 2012

DIY Deodorant




Just a quick post I wanted to share with you about a deodorant I made myself yesterday, and yes, it actually works!

I have seen many recipes floating around on Pinterest lately about DIY deodorant using basic kitchen ingredients and since I'm obsessed with using coconut oil for absolutely everything, I thought I'd give it a try. I used this recipe which is as basic as it gets, the changes I made to suit what I had on hand were I used two drops of oil rather than the 10 it suggests and I switched the arrowroot powder for constarch. I would have preferred to use tea tree oil but I had none on hand so I used lavender because it has great properties as well. Adding just the two drops of lavender also ensured that I wasn't blown away by the intense smell of it, which probably wouldn't have been an issue had I used 10 drops of other oils like citrus's or tea tree which i'll probably try next time. 

The hardest part of this DIY was waiting for it to set as I'm not the most patient person, and I wanted to see how it worked while I was out in the arvo. It was warm yesterday and the usual task's that would have caused me to sweat a little didn't seem to be an issue. I didn't feel wet or sticky and no smell. Awesome! One more thing I feel I should mention is that I applied it straight after shaving which in my case usually causes irritation but there was nothing of the sort with this.

 To use it you just scoop a little out of the jar and rub it into your pit, it will melt from the warmth of your skin and your good to go.



Even if DIY deodorant isn't your thing, I recommend giving it a try just to see how great it actually works, and perhaps it may convert you. 

One more thing is I've read on heaps of pages that cornstarch tends to cause irritation in some people and although my skin is easily irritated it wasn't an issue for me. 

Happy DIY'ing!

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis